Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Karaoke, Chavez, and the fate of global warming again!

So last night's adventures were both surprising and entertaining. What began as a simple day off became a night of exploration. After a day of running errands and working out, I met up with Kiel to go to Barragan's for dollar taco night and pitchers of margaritas (which interestingly, I swore two years ago I'd never drink tequila again, but I had changed my just recently, which is another story). The tacos were good for a dollar and the margaritas were good and strong. Kiel's roommate Bert and my next door neighbor Geoff joined the two of us as well, and the conversation never lagged. After many tacos and 3 pitchers of margaritas we headed out (I was the dd, don't worry), and I dropped Kiel and Bert at home then Geoff and I headed to Michael's to meet his wife and a couple of friends for Karaoke. Now, I preface that this was like no karaoke place you have every heard. The people getting on stage had amazing voices, and it was a little intimidating. It almost seemed like the last few nights of American Idol (which I still have never watched...ever). However, after a couple of bourbon and gingers I decided to jump up and give it a whirl. For being a karaoke virgin, I did pretty well. Of course, I started off with a DMB song, which is difficult itself since Dave has such a distinct and different voice, but I think I handled it well. After that performance, I was able to just sit back and relax and enjoy the company and the night.

Well, on to more interesting topics.

Chavez is back to his usual blustering and fist shaking at everything American. While all the news stories are talking about a war happening down in South America, I have my doubts that this will go that far. First off, Chavez is cheap talk and doesn't have the balls to start a fight with Columbia. Second, he wasn't even offended in this transgression so he has no legs to stand on, and if he invaded then he would see a world of hurt descend down on his little "empire". The attack allows Chavez to look tough, however if he pushes to hard he may end up on his face and have lost some faith in his power hungry friends across the globe. Thirdly, when you take a glance at the different military strengths of all three countries, Columbia has a larger, better equipped, and better trained military than both Ecuador and Venezuela combined. It would not be a contest. Did Columbia have a right to do a surgical strike into Ecuador to kill FARC rebels? Of course! Raul Reyes, a high FARC leader, has been hiding out in Ecuador controlling his rebels across the border and making incursions into Columbian soil for the past several years. Also, with hints that Reyes had ties with Rafael Correa, the Ecuadorean president, and Ecuador doing nothing to help prevent this, Columbia did what was needed to help stabilize their country. It was a bold move, but that is what it takes in a war against cowards such as Reyes. This is a better world without him.

I know I have talked on it before, but I have to bring it up again that this whole global warming scare is a complete joke! In this article the founder of The Weather Channel talks about how much a fraud global warming is and how TWC has devolved into a platform for alarmists trying to scare the country. I have been saying it again and again that in ten years, maybe twenty, we will look back and wonder how we were all duped into believing Al Gore. Well, he did invent the internet, so he must be pretty smart.

Last note, it looks like SAG has begun starting talks with the different studios in an effort to stave off a strike in June. After the WGA strike, this town is weary and just wants for things to get back to normal. Here is hoping that negotiations are both swift and final.

No comments: