Friday, October 12, 2007

Weather and dust

As a middle East Coaster I am subject to four seasons (granted not a whole lot of snow during the winter), and needing to have a whole array of clothing to deal with the changing temperatures, I am enjoying the beautiful stable temperatures of Los Angeles. Granted, for a week or two it was pretty hot, above 100 degrees, but overall it has been pretty tolerable since it is a dry heat and not the weighted humid heat you get in Virginia. I have loved being able to wear shorts and a t-shirt everyday even though we are in the middle of October, and it's not going to get much colder during the "winter". I love the shorts and t-shirt combo so much that I am finding this a great bonus of living in Southern California.

However, there is one downside that comes with this wonderful weather. Dust. Since Los Angeles is built on top of a desert, there is tons of sand, dirt and dust everywhere! Unfortunately, being unused to the arid, desert climate, my body doesn't know how to filter out all the crap that is entering my system, so I am dealing with a lot of crap in my throat. I am not sick in any fashion, but my body cannot contend with so much dust that it is just coalescing in my throat and making life difficult. Also, with the lack of trees and living in the San Fernando valley, the air is definitely a lower quality then what I am used to as well.

The question now is, can my body learn to deal with the crap? And if it can't, will the constantly sunny, warm weather be worth it in the overall?

No comments: