Saturday, February 16, 2008

Frozen pipes and rolling your own pasta!


3:45 came around way too early today. It felt like I had just fallen asleep when I wake up to my alarm informing me that it was time to go open the store. After a fairly fast open (still working on memorizing where all the pastries go, but that'll come with time), we open the doors and sat around waiting for someone to show up and want some coffee. It was a good thing that we didn't have anyone that morning, because about 15 minutes after opening the doors we discovered that there was no hot water. So, a quick call to the facilities manager to let him know, and of course we get a well-timed response of, "It's frozen pipes. They'll warm up." Now this is Southern California, so yes it is a desert and does get cold at night, but not freezing temperatures. The low for last night was around 42 degrees. Also, we don't usually finish closing the store until 2:30am and arrive to open at 4:15am, so in less than 2 hours in 42 degree weather our pipes froze? Yeah, I wasn't having it, and of course informed the manager of the ridiculousness of his statement. He then said,"Well, they may not be frozen, but they could be just cold?". I responded by telling him that it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes (at the most) to warm up the pipes, and we had been running the water for a bit now with no luck. Then the most intelligent thing this man said came out, "Well, it could be the pipes leading to the building that are cold." I had to hold back from laughing. Yeah, the water treatment facility doesn't warm the water it pumps through the pipes to us. That's why we have a, wait for it, water heater! Luckily, I was able to reason with him and we were able to call a plumber; who wouldn't get there for another 4 hours.
Anyways, it became a fun day of light cleaning and chatting with the other employees and watching people come up to the door, read the sign stating that we were temporarily closed, and then trying the door anyways as if they thought the sign was a ruse that the employees were using to get out of work. Yeah, the count got up to over twenty before we stopped.
Yeah, it was a fun morning.

So last night I got to roll my own pasta which I must say is quite fun. I had headed over to Steve's to hang out with him and a bunch of his friends, and entered into the cooking zone. Since I love cooking, I washed my hands and jumped right in to help (even though I only knew Steve at this party). So I spent the next couple hours making pasta noodles and ravioli from scratch (Yes, and I mean scratch). I thinned out the dough for the ravioli, stuffed, and sealed the raviolis myself. Of course, there was also the beautiful fettuccine noodles Steve and I made too. They both went great with the steak and salad that went along with it as well. Let's just say it was quite the food party (and alcohol, of course!).

No comments: